Thursday, March 24, 2016

Holi - As I Remember It

HOLI- AS I REMEMBER IT


I was in my first standard when we shifted to Allahabad. Hailing from Mumbai, and also being a really young kid, I wasn't exactly aware of the Holi being celebrated across the country.
It was at Allahabad that I first understood what Holi was all about and how was it celebrated. 


The first year, on the evening of Choti Holi (also known as Holika Dahan), that evening everybody from our society gathered on the small ground in our society premises. A huge erection of wood twigs, dry grass and some other combustible materials were piled up in a pyramid shape & decorated with flowers and crape hangings. As everybody gathered, the Holi(ka) was set on fire and everybody sang and went around the Holi(ka) pyre in circles, making offerings and praying. After that, everybody wished each other, did a small tilak on each others forehead; youngsters touched the elders feet while the elders gave blessings. Sweets such as gujiyas and laddoos were exchanged and the next days program was set.

As the next morning arrived, I was pretty excited with the prospect of playing Holi for the first time. I got up really early and dressed up. I got out all the colors that I had brought from the short Holi-shopping trip. I had got a nice big pichkari too after searching through various shops. As I got all of it out, I was beaming with joy. My mother then applied a lot of oil on my hands & face & my hair, and I was ready to go. As my friends came to call me, I rushed out of the house with all my Holi utilities.


When I reached the ground of our building, I was so happy. Everybody was there- right from us kids to the bhaiyyas & didis, the uncles & aunties, the dadajis and dadijis. Everybody was laughing and talking, surrounded with & in colors. The whole atmosphere was as lively and zealous as it could get. That was the day I understood the true meaning of Holi- the festival of Colors. Where the atmosphere is colored in happiness & the people soaked in pure joy. 


As I reached the vicinity, everybody rushed towards me with colors and within a minute, I was head to toe soaked in colors. I rushed around running and coloring everybody. Almost for the next four hours, we all played Holi. There was not a single soul left uncolored. & it was only and only pure colors and water. I do not know if people did not use balloons & plastic bags back then, or was it that our society did not allow it; for I remember there were a lot of guys and girls in their 16-25's , but who also did not use anything but only colors and water.


After the playing Holi (coloring everybody) part was over, the elders told us to reach towards the front play area of the society. After continuing to play for more some while, all of us kids went to the ground. The sight left me agape. There were long tables set, over which there were innumerable pots containing different delicious varieties of food. There was everything - right from the rotis and chawal, 3-4 varieties of sabjis, daal; innumerable starters, desserts- everything. We all feasted over the sumptuous meal. After that we all went back to our respective houses. Holi for the year was officially over. 
I went back home and mom bathed & scrubbed me with i do not know what stuff, because of which, most of the color, if not all, came out, with only a bit left here and there.


That evening as we went out, nobody played Holi again. As Holi was now over. Nobody splashed colors on passer-bys and nobody still ran around with colors. After that for the next four years, that was how Holi was celebrated. At times, there used to be a program in the society at evening; at other times everybody would visit friends and so on. Those Holi memories I cherish till date. Holi had found its place as one of my favorite festival.


After that, we shifted back to Mumbai and here, the Holi was quite different. There was a bit less company for it, I don't think Holi was so famous in Mumbai back then. And over the years, it kept on changing. 
After that, I tried playing once or twice but Holi was never the same. It had changed in leaps & bounds. No longer did people play for the only sake of enjoyment. You had to force everybody out and still people (the older gen) would be adamant to come out and play with colors. Even when they did, it did not feel as good as the older times. The involvement was bleak.

Also now, Holi goes on for days. You find people playing with colors since two days before the festival begins and it goes on till the next two days after it. On the day of Holi, you find more guys whizzing around on bikes in groups- shouting, honking and creating a ruckus. Societies erect loud speakers and go on playing the same Holi songs at the loudest permissible decibels. After the initial hours of Holi day, the atmosphere does not feel as joyous and zealous; rather it feels a bit lazy. Even in the evening, there is no guarantee that you shall remain unscathed with colors, as there are complete chances of few idiots throwing plastic bags from terraces even in the evening- loving to spoil your clean clothes. And the remaining portion of the day is spent by a lot of people drinking away. No longer do people anyways need a reason to drink and what better day than Holi, right? And the day after the Holi, the roads are more smeared with plastic bags than colors


I never played Holi again in the last 7-8 years. For my memories of Holi are a lot different and a lot beautiful. They don't have a hint of what happens today and neither would I like to blur them with plastics and hooliganism and intoxication.


I feel we have forgotten the basic purpose of Holi celebration. We are supposed to burn all our ill habits, all the misgivings, all the wrongs - in the fire of the Holika. We are supposed to bring the color of happiness, respect and love into others lives and in the process get drenched in the joy and zeal. We are supposed to actually enjoy the festival and not just enjoy the chance to upload pictures.


Holi, just like the other Hindu festivals has a great meaning associated to it. 

From where I stand, I decipher it as a festival- a chance where you get to introspect and shed away all the wrong and bad inside you, into the burning pyre of the Holika; and an opportunity to bring the colors of happiness and togetherness into others lives; the two actions which indeed make it a 'Happy Holi' for yourself.


Wish you all a Very Happy Holi!  

                       


1 comment: